CONTACT GERONTOLOGY MAJOR
NME Res. 17166 – December 27th, 2012 – 7 years
Humanities and Fine Arts Building, Block A, 4th floor.
Phone Number: 57 – 6 – 735 93 00 Ext. 342
Business Hours: Monday to Friday: 8:00am to 12:00m – 2:00pm to 6:00pm
Since the eighties of the twentieth century was aware of the existence of academic programs dedicated to the formation of gerontologists in Colombia. Dulcey Elisa Ruiz et al. (2001), of the Interdisciplinary Association of Gerontology (IAG), say that in this decade, the field of gerontology are characterized by a strong emphasis on education, research and services aimed at the elderly.
In 1983 the first undergraduate program opened in Gerontology at the Catholic University of the East (Rionegro, Antioquia), which drifted over time, as an extension, other programs in the same manner and for the same purposes (improving conditions of life for aging quality) at the universities of San Buenaventura Cali and Bogotá. Also outlined that the middle of this decade two other programs were opened: one in Medellín, in today known Instituto Tecnológico de Antioquia (Governmental) (formerly Central Female Institute), named Technology Program in Gerontology, for purposes of training and service ; and one in Armenia, Quindío University as undergraduate program with a level of professional training. This program began academic work in the first half of 1987.
The new program of Gerontology at the University of Quindío takes into account the accumulated experience of 25 years of operation and meets the current demands of academic and work in the country context.
The Gerontology Program has a human, academic and scientific guidance that undertakes teaching and research in the field of aging and old age, for the formation of the Gerontologist as a professional committed to the quality of life of older people and activities extension in response to community involvement.
The Gerontology Program at the University of Quindío, in 2020, will lead the overall education of gerontologists with high participation in the investigation and solution of problems and needs of the elderly and aging population of the department of Quindío, the region and country.
NUMBER OF ACADEMIC CREDITS
As an academician:
• Conceptualizes development, aging and old age, its factors and their effects within a comprehensive theoretical perspective.
• Locates aging and old age within a historical, economic, political, social, cultural, environmental and epidemiological context.
As a researcher:
• Identifies and analyzes the processes of knowledge production on development - aging and old age.
• Analyzes and critiques positions and theories on development - aging and old age.
• Designs, implements and evaluates research projects on development - Aging and old age from different approaches.
As a manager:
• Plans, designs and implements social and public health policies in relation to development - aging and old age.
• Directs, advises and evaluates governmental and nongovernmental entities that develop policies, plans, programs and projects related to aging and / or people.
• Organizes and advises programs preparing for retirement employment.
• Designs, manages and advises programs in health promotion and prevention for seniors.
As a Process Manager:
• Promotes both individual cognitive, affective and behavioral and social changes, to achieve active aging and independent and competent old age.
• Influences the formation of civic and political organizations in favor of full knowledge of the rights of all people and especially the elderly.
• Promotes the development of the full potential of older people through processes of social and civic participation
• Promotes intergenerational living spaces for the recognition of others and respect for differences.
• Agency promotion and prevention of health care and community-based rehabilitation through changes in practices and habits that encourage healthy lifestyles.
• Promotes, in the new scenarios of communication and technologies, respect for the dignity of the elderly and their participation in the promotion of a society for all ages.
• Advises individuals, families and institutions that care for older people with chronic diseases and disabilities.
The University of Quindío expected to graduate professional Gerontology Program enhances all competitions: Argumentative and Ethics, Scientific - Technological, and Social and Communicative becomes:
• Manager of his own company, which means you build your niche in the labor market, either by submitting projects to public and / or private or become a gerontologist Entrepreneur, employer and executing their projects.
• Counsel individuals, families, communities, organizations and companies on issues aimed at achieving an autonomous and successful aging.
• Professional serving: EPI (Health Promoting Institutions); IPS (service institutions); Hospitals first and second level; Hospital-day; Institutions for Special Dietary Health; CBA (Elder Wellness Centers); Facilities - day life Ministries; governorates; mayors; Ministries of Health; Departments of Social Development; ICBF (Colombian Family Welfare Institute); Family Compensation; Educational Institutions (Schools, Colleges and Universities); Severance and Pension Funds; NGOs (nongovernmental organizations) and seniors organizations.
• Professional contributing to the construction and constitution of gerontology as a field discipline and professional; aware of the importance of being linked to academic, scientific and disciplinary and professional associations.